Friday, November 4, 2011

Craft Time



So I have been needing a creative outlet lately and kinda went a little overboard.  I now have too many projects going on but I'm loving it!  I feel so accomplished when I finish one, and I love working on them!  I actually get excited to come home just so I can work on my crafts :) I'm a nerd, no biggie.

So project #1 I decided to make a wreath.  I only own 1 wreath and it's an Easter wreath,........that's still hanging on the door.  I haven't taken it town yet because our door is ugly, and I haven't had anything to replace it with.  Ha Ha so I figured it was time for a new one, but I couldn't find one I liked!  All the wreath at stores looked the same and were expensive, so I just decided to make my own!  I have started one for fall, and will start one for winter too :).  I'm super excited!  It's not quite done, but here are some pictures of it so far!





I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do with it, but thanks to Pinterest tehee I got some great ideas!  You can buy an actual foam circle at craft stores but those are like $8 so I wanted to try to be more thrifty!  I wanted to find a water noodle, but considering summer is over no one is selling those.  So I ended up finding construction pipe covering.  You can buy a pack of 3 for $3.  Way cheaper, and now I have some left over to make more wreaths.  The piping didn't work exactly how I hoped, but it did the job.  It's just shorter and skinnier then I thought so when I bent it into the circle it went a little skiwampiss, so I just wrapped it in tape and the shape is a little better now!  Here are some of the pictures from Pinterest that got me inspired.




After that all I did was wrap it with yarn!  Super easy, but I like the modern clean look of these kind of wreaths !  I didn't just want your average fall wreath of leaves and pumpkins (not that those are bad, I just wanted something different), so I loved this idea when I saw it.  I'm not done yet but I'll post pictures of the finished project.  I'm going to add some more yarn that is a dark mustard yellow, and I'm making felt flowers to add to it as well!  I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Okay project #2, jewelry hanger.  Okay so the other day I was cleaning the apartment, and I decided to organize my jewelry.  I hadn't gone through it since I just threw it a box when packing.  All my necklaces were tangled, and everything was all mixed up.  I had gone through everything and gotten it all straightened up but didn't really have anywhere to put it. I didn't just want to throw it all back in the jewelry box and get my necklaces tangled again, so I needed somewhere to hang them.  Which led me to be a little resourceful.  I have wanted to make something like this for a long time, here is a picture of what I had in mind.




Okay well I didn't want to wait, and I didn't really have all this stuff just lying around my apartment, so I improvised.  Eventually I'll want to update it and get a prettier frame, one with more detail like above, but here is the finished project for now.


I had an extra frame lying around that was brown and gold, so I took it and paint it black.


Then I found some old lace and cut out a piece and nailed it on.


I had some pearl pins lying around from when I made Jules that bouquet, so I added them to the bottom to act as necklace hangers.


The Love sign was the lid to the jewelry box I was no longer using.  I didn't want it to go to waste, so Eric unscrewed it for me, I added some pretty scrapbook paper behind the lettering, and wahlah!  It's not exactly I had planned a while ago, but for doing it on a whim, and doing it with stuff I already had laying around the house? I don't think it's that bad!

Okay so project #3, I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I HATE plain white walls, and I LOVE pictures.  Well considering our apartment is full of white walls I was going crazy, so I decided it's my goal to change that!  I have been working in the front room this week!  We still really don't have that much money to be spending on decorations, so thanks to the local Dollar Tree I was able to scrap up almost all of these frames for $1 each!  Some of them are from our old apartment, and things we got from our wedding, but I needed a few more to fill up all that space, so luckily we found some for cheap.  So here is what the front room looked like the first time I posted a picture.  Here is what it looks like now





I know I know I'm sure you're thinking, "holy crap got enough frames, you crazy"?  Well yes it's a bit extreme, but I had a bunch of little ones lying around, and I just kept adding.  At this point I would rather look at a bunch of pictures then plain white walls, so thus the million frames.  I have a bunch of pictures sent to Walgreens I need to pick up, that way I can actually fill the frames, what a novel idea I know!  It is kinda weird for me though, because all the pictures we really have are either our engagements, or our wedding!  I feel so vain have 5 million frames of me and Eric everywhere but it's all I have.  I'm going to try and dilute it with some baby pictures and family pictures we love, but we kinda figured until you have kids, you don't have that many cool pictures to put up!  But now I guess when we have kids I'll have plenty of frames to put all their pictures in!  Ignore the empty spaces on the one wall.  I'm wating to get a few more things to add to it, so it's not completely done yet!  The plates with the live, laugh, love decal was another craft project!



  I found that decal at Dollar Tree as well and wanted to add it so there wasn't just pictures on the wall.  I found some silver platters there for $1, and I painted them the beige color because the silver was too much.  The letters of the decals were then too close of a color so you couldn't see the words!  So I just spray painted the lettering black and stuck it on!  They are not pefect in any sense, but I like them, and hey for only $6? I'm okay with that!


So this leads me to project #4.  Here is the next white wall I am going to conquer.

 
I want this to be our family wall which requires all of your guy's help (don't worry I am going to individually ask you, I wouldn't expect to get anything just from asking over the blog).  I found that family decal at the Dollar Tree also (I'm in love with that place).  I'm going to put the decal at the top with a frame around it
and then put pictures of all our family underneath!  That means you moms and dads, brothers and sisters, grandmas, aunts, nieces, nephews, weddings, groups, singles, whatever you have I want them (that sounded kind of creepy...sorry).  So calling all family, send me pictures!  We don't get to see most of you very often, so my goal is to add you to our wall, and then we get to see you everyday!  I'm excited to get this project finished!



Okay so finally I'm updating you on the baskets for the bathroom.  A few weeks ago I posted here about  changing the baskets. Well here are the final project!  I really like them.  They look so good in the bathroom, and I actually like them better dark then light!  I'm glad we could repurpose them!

No comments:

Post a Comment