Sunday, March 3, 2013

It's What's for Dinner!


So since being diagnosed with PCOS I have had to completely rethink my cooking.  To be honest I was doing great, but then I did fall off the wagon for a bit. After my doctors appointment the other day I'm ready to get back on track.  I'm suppose to go back to the doctor in 2 months for a follow up, so my goal is try to lose as much weight as possible in that time.  She sounded optimistic that if we can get my weight down we will be able to manage a lot of the symptoms.  She told me that she didn't want to discuss anything about infertility or other major problems until she can see how my body reacts with weight loss.  During my ultrasound she did see that I have over 15 cysts on each ovary and said that we will need to watch all of them closely.  I then had to get several tubes of blood drawn for every test in the book. I'm currently crossing my figures for good results.  The doctor recommended I stay away from carbs and sugar and anything white basically, so I have had to be creative with my cooking.  For a few weeks I cut out all sugars and carbs completely, except for some fruits, then I started to realize my mental health was just as important.  I had to figure out a way to do this and still be able to live my life.  So I have been trying out a lot of different recipes and tips and slowly I am figuring out what works for me.  My Mom asked that I share some of the recipes that I have been trying so that is just what I am going to do.  I figured I'll also post any tips or tricks I find along the way.  This is something that has to be a lifestyle change not just a quick hit it and quit it diet.  I figure if I find stuff that works for me why not share it and see if it can help anyone else.  Now I am no expert or doctor and I'm not saying my way is the right way for everyone.  I'm simply just going to share my experience and my story.  I'll post of few of my recipes now, but I have lots more to come.

Eric was missing his potatoes and kept begging, so I have tried to do a few things with sweet potatoes because they are a lot better for you and a lot fewer calories.
Spinach has become my new best friend.  I know some do not like it, but I adore spinach and I prefer it to many other leafy greens.  So I have pretty much been putting spinach in anything I can and I do most my salads with spinach.
 



 

 Bruschetta chicken is a recipe I found on Pinterest and it has become one of my favorite things to cook now.  Eric even said it was one of his favorite things I have EVER cooked!  Can you say winna winna?  Here is where I got the recipe
 http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2009/04/grilled-bruschetta-chicken.html

I paired it with asparagus because it's one of my favorite veggies and it's so easy and quick and then I did some roasted cauliflower.  The cauliflower is certainly not Eric's favorite, as I said above he would much rather some potatoes, but they really were quite tasty in my opinion. 


 These ground turkey meatballs were super delicious and it was fun to do something a little different.  Here is the recipe for these http://homecookingmemories.com/baked-turkey-meatballs-with-spinach-10-ideas-for-meatballs/

 Another attempt at substituting Eric's mashed potatoes and I did mashed cauliflower with greek yogurt for creaminess and some fresh herbs. Yum!
Yummy tomato salsa salmon with grilled corn and avocado salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment